- Screw a hook into the ceiling above your tree to act as an anchor to make sure it isn’t pulled down.
- Use foil or sticky tape around the base of your tree, and also perhaps use lightweight or material ornaments for the bottom of the tree to help prevent them being pinched or attacked by your furry friends.
- If you have a real tree this year, make sure the water used at the base of the tree is covered and pets are discouraged from drinking this water, as it can contain very dangerous fertilizers and pesticides.
- Coatings such as Bitter Apple or citrus fruit scents on your electrical cables can help prevent unwanted chewing. Try to bundle up cables or use a cord cover where possible.
- Avoid tinsel at all costs, as the ingestion of this by your pet can cause choking or intestinal obstruction.
- Again, if you have opted for a real tree, make sure if you have cats that your tree is not pine, as the ingestion of these needles is toxic and can be fatal. Other needles from different types of tree are less toxic but can also be very dangerous is eaten by a cat or a dog, as they can puncture the intestines of animals. Keep needles up from the floor as much as possible and clean them up regularly.
If you suspect your pet has ingested anything dangerous or is showing symptoms of such, contact your vet immediately.